The following are examples of our work in training staff:
- Through it's Professional Development Leadership project with the New York State Education Department, Hudson River Center supported English language and civics education programming in upstate New York. Hudson River Center conducted a survey of administrators and teachers on their professional development needs. As an outcome of the survey, Hudson River Center convened statewide and regional professional development days and established a secure online community for providers to exchange information. Again at the request of survey respondents, Hudson River Center produced an online training program for use in On Common Ground.
- Hudson River Center has trained thousands of adult education teachers, administrators, counselors, and staff development specialists in both train-the-trainer and direct-training sessions. Topics have included preservice for new adult educators, health promotion, literacy screening, distance learning, citizenship preparation, learning standards, peer review, social marketing, and motivating mandated students.
- Hudson River Center was one of three official trainers in New York State for the On Common Ground series. On Common Ground examines what it means to be a citizen of the United States through video and print materials depicting modern-day stories of real people. The series is appropriate for a variety of learning environments, including citizenship preparation, pre-GED and GED classes for adult students, and U.S. studies, civics, and history classes for secondary students.
- For six years, staff of Hudson River Center worked with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New York State Education Department to plan and facilitate training workshops on various aspects of HIV/AIDS education. Over 650 individuals from every state in the nation and US territories attended the 21 workshops.
- Working with the Leatherstocking Education on Alcoholism/Addiction Foundation and the New York State Department of Health, Hudson River Center staff provided training to adolescent pregnancy caseworkers and community health workers on screening and referral for FAS.