Click for sound.

We've already talked about locking up cleaners, medicines, and other poisonous things in your home and garage. There's still a chance, though, that you'll be someplace that isn't safe or someone else could leave something out in your home. Remember, kids put everything in their mouths, and they do it fast. Keep poisoning from ever happening. If it does, call your regional poison control center.

Click for sound. When you call a poison control center, they will ask questions to see how bad the poisoning is and then tell you what to do. Sometimes they will tell you to induce vomiting or to drink milk. Other times you may have to call an ambulance or go to the emergency room. Never induce vomiting unless you are told to by the poison control center. Keep syrup of ipecac in your home in case they do tell you to do it. Keep the number for your poison control center by your phone.
Some of the medicines that poison children are iron pills, antidepressants, heart and blood pressure medicines, and sleeping pills. Other common poisons in your home are bug sprays, gas, kerosene, lamp oil, charcoal lighter fluid, windshield washer fluid, brake line antifreeze, and antifreeze.
Help your children learn about the risk of medicines. Don't ever say that medicines or vitamins are candy. Be honest and tell them the medicine will make the bad germs go away and they only need it if they're sick. Teach your children never to eat or drink anything without asking you or another grown-up first and never to put plants in their mouths. Over 700 house and garden plants, such as mistletoe, are poisonous and can cause your child to be sick or even die.
Lead poisoning also hurts young children and pregnant women. It can lower IQ and slow growth, cause behavior problems and anemia, and can hurt hearing and kidneys. Lead can be found in old paints, dust, soil, and water that flows through lead pipes. If you live in an older house, call your local health department and have your paint tested for lead. To be sure your children are lead-free, have your health professional test their blood every year from six months to six years-old.

Click for a worksheet!